Harpreet Kaur is a TEDx speaker, career coach, and seasoned tech leader at Microsoft. In this article, she shares her thoughts on rapid advancements in Artificial Intelligence and how it’ll impact the professional landscape. Below article is in her own words.
Just in the past 6 months, I’ve noticed a shift in the themes of my keynote speeches. The topics have moved away from trending technologies and personal branding, and has started converging on the Artificial Intelligence (AI) revolution, with professionals grappling with its implications for their future careers.
As a seasoned tech leader with an insatiable curiosity and a thirst for continuous learning, I strive to keep abreast of the evolving landscape of AI tools. The pace of innovation is rapid, and adapting, learning, and thriving in this era is a compelling challenge.
Let’s acknowledge the elephant in the room – fear of job displacement due to AI is pervasive. Throughout my keynote speeches and coaching sessions, I’ve encountered this apprehension time and again. However, my message to professionals at all stages is clear: while AI may automate certain tasks, it also holds the potential to augment human abilities and accelerate career growth.
Let’s also not forget that this isn’t the first time we’ve wrestled with a groundbreaking tech innovation. We’ve navigated through similar waves of apprehension during the rise of personal computers, digital transformation, machine learning, big data, and virtual reality. And I’ll acknowledge that each of these has required as to retool our minds, but the humanity has become better with each of these revolutions, and I believe AI is the same.
In this piece, I aim to dispel the myths surrounding AI and shine a light on how it can act as a catalyst for career transformation. With a personal example how ChatGPT helped me organize my thoughts in this article is an example of how AI is helping me share my message clearly and saving me time! This is how I see power of AI will illuminate and enhance human potential.
- Cultivating Creativity and Innovation: Many believe AI stifles creativity. On the contrary, artists, writers, and designers are harnessing the power of AI technologies to unlock new horizons of creativity. AI might assist in generating impactful visuals and novel ideas, but the emotional resonance, original vision, and creative direction need the human touch. Looking ahead, we might see filmmakers and game developers using AI to automate parts of their creative process. Still, the storytelling, emotional depth, and creative insight will always be inherently human.
- AI as Your Collaborative Partner: In healthcare, AI is helping doctors with precise diagnostics. However, the empathy, patient-care, and critical decision-making skills required in complex cases are quintessentially human. The legal field is already using AI to sift through contracts and legal documents, freeing up time for lawyers to delve into the nuances of litigation and negotiation that require human intuition. As we gaze into the future, roles like teachers and counselors could harness AI to tailor curriculum and guidance plans. Yet, the motivation, understanding, and empathy they provide to their students are irreplaceable.
- Embracing AI for Data-Driven Decision Making: Marketing and finance professionals are increasingly relying on AI to dissect consumer behavior and identify investment risks. While AI may help identify trends, the strategic thinking and complex problem-solving needed to develop an effective campaign or financial strategy require a human mind. In the future, city planning could benefit from AI’s predictive power for population growth and transportation needs. However, understanding community needs, respecting cultural nuances, and making decisions that affect human lives would still require empathy and ethical judgment.
- Upskilling and Reskilling Opportunities in AI: Engineers, data scientists, and developers are currently upskilling in AI to stay competitive. But the ingenuity to devise innovative solutions to complex problems remains a distinctively human quality. Future applications could see HR professionals or sales teams using AI to optimize talent acquisition or personalize sales strategies. However, building relationships, understanding human needs, and making critical decisions will still need the human element.
- AI Elevating Service and Experience: Customer service and hospitality industries are already benefiting from AI’s power to process and interpret massive volumes of data, but the quintessential elements of human connection, empathy, and personal touch remain pivotal. AI-powered chatbots can handle routine inquiries, but the discernment to handle complex grievances and the ability to offer a personalized service are traits intrinsically tied to humans. In future, the concierge and retail sector could use AI to anticipate customer needs and personalize services. However, the genuine connection, personal interaction, and understanding of unique customer desires will always depend on the irreplaceable human element.
AI need not be seen as a threat but a catalyst for career transformation. By embracing data-driven decision making, nurturing creativity, and seizing upskilling opportunities, we can unlock our full potential and thrive in an AI-driven world.
As AI becomes an indispensable tool across industries, professionals who embrace its potential and learn to collaborate with it will position themselves at the forefront of career advancement. Let’s welcome the AI era with open arms, harnessing its power to elevate our careers while celebrating the best of human potential.
The final choice is yours. Will you let fear keep you from surfing the wave of AI, or will you seize the reins of the AI revolution to realize your career’s full potential? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Reach out for next event speaker: Why Blend In – Leadership Speaker, Career Coaching and follow for more insights Harpreet Kaur | LinkedIn